Monday, August 4, 2008

In Total Submission

In Total Submission
By Patricia Ang

“I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want, I can do everything through him who gives me strength,” (Philippians 4:12-13)

In Matthew 4:18, Jesus said, “Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men.” HE tells us to follow him and let HIM make something out of our lives.

Have you encountered difficult circumstances or strong temptations that invade our lives and remind us of our powerlessness, and we have an all powerful god who works on behalf of those who trust Him? Why is it so difficult to surrender everything to God? Could it be pride, stubbornness, greed, fear or doubt? Yet it is God’s unconditional love for us that HE sent his son Jesus to die on the cross to atone for our sins. The Lord wants to meet us at every intersection of every dream, every choice, every desire and every thought and He urges us to turn towards Him.

Don’t we all face disappointments in our lives – the loss of passion in one’s jobs, a failed relationship or a rebellious child? As a result, it triggers off a chain reaction of bitterness, anger, frustration and disappointment. How about failures in our lives which can result in anxiety, stress and even despair?

Learn to keep your disappointments and failures in stride. Learn from your disappointments and failures and with God’s help, seek to overcome them. Sometimes God uses life’s disappointment to draw us closer to Himself or teach us patience and trust. When God closes one door, He often opens another, if we seek it. When life turns against you, ask God “Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths” (Psalm 25:4)

Personally at times, I find it so difficult to surrender my situations to God because I tend to think I can do it my way, but whenever I choose to do things my way, I end up more exhausted and hurt. It is only when I surrender the situations to God, seek clarity and direction, do I experience that peace that it is by relying in HIM that I am able to achieve the things I need to do.

To become a Christian requires that we admit our helplessness and acknowledge our total dependence on God. “Without me, you can do nothing,” said Jesus. (John 15:5)

I remembered the stage when I was pursing a part time course at NTU. I had my doubts on how to juggle work and studies, but I surrendered that to the Lord. By God’s grace, I managed to do that – completing my assignments on time, studying for exams and doing my job professionally. During that period, HE blessed with good team mates, family and work support and friends who were there to encourage and pray for me.

A true Christian isn’t peaceful or arrogant; his confidence is not in himself, but in God and he humbly trusts in HIM every day. My salvation and my honour depend on God, he is my mighty rock, my refuge (Psalm 62 :7)

Whenever I travel overseas, I always pray for a safe journey and good health. There were times when we faced bad turbulence on the planes and they can be really scary experiences. Safety too in terms of not losing our luagges, our passports, money and the bus driver driving us safely to the various destinations.

God’s love for you has not changed. At times we see God’s love most clearly when life is at its darkest. God’s love for us never fails, He always stands ready to forgive and restore us to Himself. “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning” (Lamentations 3:22-23)


For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, and it is the gift of God – not by works so that no one can boast (Ephesians 2: 8-9)

Paul wrote : “The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one sows to please the Spirit, from the Sprit will reap eternal life. (Galatians 6:8). Those who work for self interest and think only of themselves are sowing seeds that will provide a harvest of misery in themselves and in others. Those who love God and care for others are sowing seeds that in time will yield a harvest of joy.

We can choose to submit our wills to God each day, asking Him to give us strength to live for Him and for others. As He works in us, we will grow in grace and in kindness. God delights when we walk in a surrendered way with Him.

“Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8)

No comments: